Thursday, April 30, 2009

Is Criticizing The Church of Scientology "Hate"?

Let's not talk about Scientology for a second and give you some parallels.

Let's say we are talking about Roman Catholic Church. As you know they have been under some heat regarding child molestation charges. I think it is wrong that the Church covered up these crimes, sent offending priests to other churches across the country, and paid hush money to the victims. It's Wrong for the priests who did it and wrong for the church to have covered it up. I think anyone would agree with me, including Catholics. When you bring this up to catholics they tend to agree and know that you are not talking about Their beliefs or their religion, they know you are talking about bad people in the group. 

So why is it when I say that I disagree with Scientology's Gold Base holding people against their will and forcing them to do manual labor with little sleep and almost no pay do I get called a bigot? It's not bigotry to oppose human right violations just because it involves a church. 

I don't hate Scientologists by any means. I will say I have a lot of disrespect and anger for upper management who are hurting people intentionally, but I can't say I hate them. Most of the Scientologists I have met in person are really nice, hard working, smart people. There is not a doubt in my mind that the vast majority of them are really bright people. 

Also take for example people who are in the Free Zone, a Scientology group which is separate from the Church of Scientology  and practice Scientology tech outside the church are very nice to me is well including while I am at pickets holding a sign. These people ARE Scientologists and agree that the Co$ is directly involved in human rights abuses and want it to stop. Clearly they are not bigots against Scientology, they practice Hubbard Tech too. 

When I am out on the street talking to people about Scientology at protests, they understand full well we aren't protesting their religious beliefs, they know that we are talking about management and human rights abuses. When Scientologists pass out fliers saying we are bigots, they can see the logical fallacy (poisoning the well) for what it is and see they are actively trying to hide their crimes by using faulty logic. 

So if opposing human rights abuses makes me a bigot, that I guess I am one; however I don't think that's what the dictionary says about bigotry. The proper term is "human rights activist" 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice.